Edington in Wiltshire is a small village with a huge musical tradition. The Priory Church of St Mary, St Katharine and All Saints, to give it its full title, was built by William of Edington, the distinguished former Bishop of Winchester, and was completed in 1361.
The poet priest George Herbert was married in the church in 1629. One of his poems, The Church Floore, is likely to have been inspired by the pattern of stones in the nave and chancel. Since 1955, the Priory Church has been home to the now world-famous annual Edington Festival of Music within the Liturgy, which takes place in August.
More information on the history of the church, and on the Festival, can be found by following the links at the foot of the page.
Where are we?
The village, nestling on the side of Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, lies on the B3098, with good links from the M3, A303 and M4. The village features on OS Landranger map 184 – alternatively put BA13 4QJ into your SatNav.
Bus service 87 connects Edington with Westbury, where the main line railway station offers fast services from London, Bristol, South Wales and the South West.
There is limited car parking outside the church, (spaces reserved for disabled guests by prior arrangement) with additional parking on the grass verge further on down the road. There are parking stewards on hand at all Edington Arts events.
Toilets are in the church car park.